CELEBRITY GOSSIP

The who, what, where, when, and how of Hollywood's biggest and brightest!

Thursday, September 15, 2005

CELEBRITY SPOTLIGHT: WANDA SYKES


Last night I was watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and one of his guests was the hilarious comedian/actress Wanda Sykes. Usually, Jay, being the host and all, has to ask his guests questions to pretty much generate conversation and make the interview flow. Wanda, however, basically just stole the show! To say the least, the woman is hysterical! Once Wanda started talking, I don't think I stopped laughing and I completely forgot that I was watching Leno because it pretty much became The Wanda Show. For some funny stuff check out Wanda's website, she even has a link to her blog! Over the last year or so Wanda has had a banner year taking a role in the hit comedy Monster-in-Law, staring Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda. She published a book entitled "Yeah, I Said That," and went on a nationwide stand-up tour. She has a reoccurring role in my FAVORITE show, the HBO series Curb Your Enthusiam which will launch its fifth season on Sunday, September 25th. Wanda has also been called "one of the funniest stand up comics" by her peers and ranks among Entertainment Weekly's 25 Funniest People in America.

Some highlights from last nights show:

  • Wanda talks about her recent trip to Hawaii where she got to swim with dolphins. At first, Wanda was reluctant to swim with the dolphins because the someone had told her that they sometimes get frightened and might poop on her. She later changes her mind because as she puts it, "if I was sitting in my living room, relaxing and watching t.v. and along comes this big old dolphin, I think I would poop too!" The dolphins were all trained to do tricks like kiss you and pretend to hug you by putting their fins around you. Wanda's dolphin expressed no interest in doing any of this with her and Wanda goes on to comment, "I had a racist-ass dolphin! There were three other white girls swimming with the dolphins as well and I was the only person the dolphin refused to kiss or get close to.

  • Wanda goes on to talk about President Bush and the actions he has taken to aid the victims of Hurricane Katrina. In particular, she totally bashes Bush for sending two cruise ships to New Orleans for victims to reside on commenting that, " the last thing place they would want to be is on a boat on the water!!!" She goes on to say, "I don't blame Bush though, I blame the American people for voting him President. You knew he was slow when you voted for him! You can't blame a blind man for wrecking a car after YOU gave him the keys!"

8 Comments:

  • At Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, you have a wonderful blog here! I will certainly suggest my friends take a look at your blog ! I have a latest cholesterol medications site. It more or less encompasses a great deal that matches latest cholesterol medications topics. If you possess the time, please come and check it out.

     
  • At Sunday, September 18, 2005 7:45:00 PM, Blogger merr said…

    I love Jay Leno, his show is so funny especially the part when people send in real life signs or newpaper articles with funny titles or sayings. I prefer Conan O'Brian but would go next to Jay Leno. I think he's very intelligent and quick on his feet. I've never heard of Wanda Sykes but I don't watch a lot of comedy shows but I'll have to keep an eye out for her. I can't believe she has such great reviews and I've been missing out! Some comedians on TV are not funny at all and they make you not want to watch comedy shows or stand-up. It's nice to hear that there's actually someone worth watching. Does she do any movies? I'm also glad Jay didn't need to pry questions out of her, that definitely makes a dull guest. Thanks for keeping me up to date with the good guests.

     
  • At Monday, September 19, 2005 3:07:00 PM, Blogger Lisa C said…

    Hey Rach,

    Wanda is so hilarious! I have seen her in the past, maybe on an Ellen show or Oprah and I distinctly remember her name and face because she had me rolling on the floor laughing the whole time. I see big things in her future. I wish she were in more movies because I would go out and see them in an instant. I wonder how Jay Leno felt though, when Wanda stole his show. I mean I guess he didn’t mind too much since he was probably laughing too and his ratings were probably really good. Being a talk show host must be hard. Sometimes the guests are either quiet or moody and they just sit in the chair with one-word answers. I REALLY feel bad when the guest has taken drugs before the show and has no idea what’s going on. I went to a David Letterman show once and Bill Murray was the guest that night. Bill was so “out of it” that it scared the audience. Despite Bill, the Letterman show was still great and despite Leno ( he’s not that funny in my opinion), The Wanda Show was great too.

     
  • At Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:15:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Thanks for all the great gossip. I was shocked to read on your blog that Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom are possibly dating. I had no idea. I must be totally out of the loop because last time I checked Kirsten was dating Jake and Orlando has been dating Kate forever. It's funny how when two attractive people star in a movie together they always seem to start dating or "hooking up" just as the movie is about to be released. Coincidence hmmmm...I wonder???

    Speaking of people being together, Matthew and Penelope??? To tell you the truth as much as I don’t really like the two of them together they seem to be extremely happy. Every time Matthew does an interview he always speaks the world of Penelope, so I guess I should just be happy for them and get over the fact that I will never be able to date Matthew. Haha…Great posts, keep them coming!!!

     
  • At Thursday, September 22, 2005 1:35:00 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I think your blog idea is awesome. Like you, I am also totally obsessed with celebrity gossip, the only problem is, it's hard to keep up with because there is always so much going on! I was just wondering if you had heard the story that Renee Zellweger and Kenny Chesney have annulled their marriage after only 4 months! I was just curious if you had any idea why? I was so excited when I heard the news and it saddens me to know that they could break up so quickly.

     
  • At Saturday, September 24, 2005 11:47:00 PM, Blogger Shayna said…

    I am really enjoying your blog. Like so many others, I (not so secretly) love celebrity gossip. I think some things are a little over the top and sometimes they just need to leave well enough alone, but fun stuff is great. Keep the notes coming about relationships because I think it’s impossible to keep them all straight. I just read someone else’s comment about Renee and Kenny, and I read somewhere that he abused her or something?? I have you heard anything about why they really broke up. Also, do you think that Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston are really dating? I can’t get past all those rumors either.

     
  • At Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:34:00 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Jay Leno is a great show. I actually started watching that interview but then had to turn it off. Wanda Sykes is hysterical and makes me laugh every single time she opens her mouth. She has that ridiculous voice that is actually kind of annoying, but what she says makes up for it! Thanks for posting the highlights from the interview, because I was sorry I had to miss it. It sounds like it was hysterical and I can definately see how she would have stolen the show from Jay. She just has one of those personalities that takes charge of a room! I've never see the HBO series, but I'm sure that it is hysterical as well.

     
  • At Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Melanie said…

    So... Ashton and Demi got married this past weekend? Can you believe it? I certainly can't. I know they were in love but I really never thought she would get married again. Do you think that she and Ashton will have a child?? Now that would be one good looking baby. I hope their marriage lasts longer than Rene Zellwegger and Kenny Chesney. Do you think this marriage will affect either of their careers? I mean, Ashton has been known as a very funny, pretty boy. Will he lose his young female audience. Either way, they are a very cute couple and I definitely wish them the best of luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home